[Gc] libatomic-ops-7.4.0 not compatible with ppc64le architecture
Madhu Pavan
2013-12-18 11:00:54 UTC
Hi Ivan Maidanski,

We are in the process of adding support for new arch (ppc64le) and as
part of that we wanted to send patches for config.guess and configure as
appropriate.

libatomic-ops-7.4.0 could not be built on ppc64le because it had an
outdated configure/config.guess/libtool.m4. Since your pkg uses libtool
and the latest tarball of your pkg didn't build on ppc64le due to
outdated libtool present on your system. We wanted to request you to
upgrade your libtool to the alpha release of libtool which has all the
bits and pieces needed for ppc64le support.

In that context, I wanted to confirm the below

is some other mailing list ?

2) New libtool alpha release which supports ppc64le arch is available,
you may pick up the alpha release from either of the below :

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.gz (1.6MB)

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.xz (920KB)

It would be great if you can install this new libtool which supports
ppc64le, and spin the pkg and let us know the new tar availability. We
can test it on ppc64le architecture for you. Please let me know if you
are planning to release or spin newer version.

Currently I used

http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/atomic_ops/download.php4

Which does not have ppc64le support.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Madhu Pavan Kothapally
Lennart Sorensen
2013-12-18 21:57:25 UTC
Post by Madhu Pavan
Hi Ivan Maidanski,
We are in the process of adding support for new arch (ppc64le) and
as part of that we wanted to send patches for config.guess and
configure as appropriate.
libatomic-ops-7.4.0 could not be built on ppc64le because it had an
outdated configure/config.guess/libtool.m4. Since your pkg uses
libtool and the latest tarball of your pkg didn't build on ppc64le
due to outdated libtool present on your system. We wanted to request
you to upgrade your libtool to the alpha release of libtool which
has all the bits and pieces needed for ppc64le support.
In that context, I wanted to confirm the below
there is some other mailing list ?
2) New libtool alpha release which supports ppc64le arch is
available, you may pick up the alpha release from either of the
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.gz (1.6MB)
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.xz (920KB)
It would be great if you can install this new libtool which supports
ppc64le, and spin the pkg and let us know the new tar availability.
We can test it on ppc64le architecture for you. Please let me know
if you are planning to release or spin newer version.
Currently I used
http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/atomic_ops/download.php4
Which does not have ppc64le support.
Your response is highly appreciated.
Well in my experience libatomic-ops doesn't work at all on powerpc,
at least if run on a power7. The testsuite fails. It seems to somehow
get by on power6 and older. Many things have had bugs exposed by power7
since it seems the power7 really relies on the memory model rules of
the power architecture in ways previous designs did not. Use of memory
barriers have to be done correctly to work on the power7, otherwise
different CPUs will often see different values in memory due to caching.

At least test_stack failed in version 7.2~alpha5+cvs20101124 in Debian
Wheezy when run on an IBM p710 (6 core power7). Current git tree fails
the same way when built on wheezy.
Len Sorensen
Lennart Sorensen
2013-12-20 14:44:38 UTC
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Post by Madhu Pavan
[...]
Hi Lennart,
Thanks for letting us know. We were not aware of it.
Would you know if someone from community/IBM is looking/working on
this and/or there is any effort to get this working on Power7
systems ?
I am not aware of anyone working on it. I looked at it, but it is beyond
my skill set at this time. I think given the complexity of doing atomic
ops safely on a multi cpu system, it might need the help of someone at
IBM that really knows the architecture.

I just know about it because we have a power6 and a power7 IBM system
we run Debian on as a build system, and pixman failed the testsuite on
the power7, but passed on the power6.

I have been tempted to "fix" the problem by just putting locks in place
and not caring that it completely defeats the purpose of the library.
At least it would work.
Len Sorensen
Lennart Sorensen
2013-12-20 14:48:13 UTC
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Post by Madhu Pavan
[...]
If anyone is interested I can provide the output of a few runs (it does
not fail the same way every time, given it is multithreaded and all
and breaking things), Sometimes it fails with duplicate entries in the
stack test, and other times it gets into and infinite loop because it
has managed to make an entry's next point at itself.

I am happy to test patches too.
Len Sorensen
Deepak C Shetty
2013-12-23 06:12:13 UTC
Lennart,
Thanks for your response. I too am not an expert of this area to help.

I have fwd.ded this mail to an internal list, its possible
someone might contact you or mail you or if they comeback to me.. I can
get you connected
with the IBM person that can look at it.

thanx,
deepak
Post by Lennart Sorensen
Deepak C Shetty